The most anticipated aspect of real estate, sitting at the closing table is the crown jewel of the home buying experience. Receiving the keys to your new home, whether it’s your first or fifth, represents the beginning of a brand new chapter in your life, one filled with hope, dreams and thoughts of lasting memories. But as many of us know firsthand, getting to the point of closing often presents anxious moments, prolonged processes and checked (or unchecked) patience as we travel the (sometimes) prickly path to real estate settlement.
What Are Potential Closing Obstacles?
In some cases, unforeseen events or circumstances beyond your control interfere with a smooth closing process. However, there are steps you can take to get ahead of some potential obstacles and streamline the closing process on your end. Before we get into how you can accomplish this, let’s first take a look at some of these potential roadblocks:
- Insufficient information for mortgage application
- Need for additional documentation
- Discrepancies in appraisals
- Changes to your credit score or income
- Changes in contract agreements
- Issues in title (or transfer of ownership)
- Foreclosures and short sales
How You Can Help Facilitate the Closing Process
- Submit all required documentation to your lender as soon as possible.
- Respond quickly and thoroughly to any requests for information.
- Know and understand the mortgage product for which you’re applying.
- Remain in close contact with your loan officer and real estate agent.
- Make sure you’re available on closing day!
At Linear Title & Escrow, we do everything within our power to ensure your closing is as smooth and streamlined as possible. For more on the closing process, contact our knowledgeable team today!