Curb appeal. A term taken mainstream largely by a slew of HGTV home improvement shows over the past decade or so. That’s not to say that property owners previously failed to consider the importance of outward appearances when it comes to owning a home. Perhaps the market-driven economy since the turn of the century has engendered more of a need for our homes to look appealing from…well, from the curb.
Whether looking to spruce up the exterior portions of your property for your own contentment or wanting to ensure your home is in tiptop shape for its debut on the MLS, improving curb appeal doesn’t have to be too difficult, or expensive. We’ve put together a list of five easy ways to enhance the exterior appeal of your home – that won’t break your back, or the bank.
5 Simple Ways to Do A Lot With a Little
- Update the Entryway. Often the focal point of a home, the front door should be welcoming and inviting. Reframing the door, replacing the door handle and flanking your entrance with sturdy plants can go a long way in adding charm and appeal to your home.
- Add a fresh coat of paint. Nothing gives a home a facelift like a new coat of paint. Add accent colors to your front door, garage door, shutters and even window trim to completely transform the look of your home.
- Rejuvenate with landscaping. Remove dead, unhealthy shrubs, trees and flowers, and replace with fresh, vibrant plants and trees that add color, warmth and interest to your property. Plan out how to fill your space first, though, so your landscaping doesn’t appear haphazard, unorganized or as an afterthought.
- Enhance appearance with landscape lighting. Your property may look great in the daylight, but what about once the sun goes down? Strategically placed landscape and up lighting can do wonders for giving your home a regal appearance.
- Pressure wash, and seal the driveway and walkway. Dirt, grime, mold and a whole host of other unpleasant materials tend to collect on driveways, walkways and porches. Pressure washing away this collection leaves behind a fresh, like-new surface that can really complement the home. Sealing once completely dried helps protect these passageways into the home, keeping them cleaner in the long run and giving them an eye-pleasing sheen that lasts.
You don’t have to invest much to refresh and rejuvenate your property’s appearance. Be creative, be inspired and be ready to move when that offer comes in.